Delicious, cakey and soft. Plus these are easily vegan and gluten free.
For the doughnuts:
- 130g plain flour (or gluten free)
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 120g crunchy peanut butter
- 120ml maple syrup
- 120ml milk of choice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp yoghurt of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 50g peanut butter
- chopped peanuts (roasted and salted)
- Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180C and grease 8 doughnut holes (a silicone mould works best).
- Into a large mixing bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, maple syrup, milk, lemon juice, yoghurt and vanilla till smooth. Then sift in plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk to a thick, smooth batter.
- To fill the moulds, transfer the mix to a piping bag and cutting off the end. Pipe the mixture into the doughnut moulds, smoothing over the tops.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the moulds fully on a wire rack. Once cool, carefully lift out the doughnuts.
- For the glaze, melt together the chocolate and coconut oil till smooth. Dip each doughnut into the chocolate mix, allowing the excess to drip off and place on a parchment lined board.
- To decorate, warm the peanut butter for 30 seconds in the microwave, put it in a small piping bag and cut a small amount off the end, drizzle it over the wet chocolate. Or you could drizzle with a spoon. Sprinkle with roasted peanuts on top, if desired. Transfer to the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
- To serve and store, these will keep for 3 days in a sealed container. You can freeze the doughnuts for up to 4 weeks and allow to defrost at room temperature.