These flourless cookies are super simple to make and use just a few ingredients from your store cupboard, perfect for gluten-free diets! Soft and chewy with a deliciously crumbly edge, they're perfect for sandwiching your favourite ice cream and creating the most scrumptious summertime treat - and the classic criss cross pattern on top will have everyone convinced these cookies are the real deal.
225g Salted Date Peanut Butter
100g golden caster sugar, plus extra to decorate
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Your favourite ice cream - we love classic vanilla with this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the peanut butter and sugar together in a bowl and beat until creamy and smooth, it should take 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and mix until combined. Next add the bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix until the well until the mixture forms a dough.
- Use an ice cream scoop to spoon your dough into 12 balls, each about the size of a walnut, and arrange on your tray, leaving space between each one (approx 2-3 inches apart.)
- Use the back of a fork to push the dough down in a criss cross pattern. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies have spread and lightly browned on the edges.
- Leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Flip one cookie over and place a giant scoop of ice cream on top. Add another cookie on top to assemble your sandwich voilà - the perfect warm summer afternoon treat is ready for you!
- Make it extra indulgent by slathering some more Salted Date Peanut Butter on half of your sandwich before serving, or try a drizzle of dark chocolate!
Tip: these are delicious served immediately but if you want to make a batch ahead of time, wrap the assembled sandwiches individually in clingfilm and keep in your freezer for up to a month.