A healthy and extra indulgent vegan, gluten-free sweet treat made with just…six essential ingredients? and the perfect something to get you through the week... ;)
This delectable caramel, peanut butter, and date combination encased in chocolate will have your mouth watering from the moment you set your eyes on the plate.
Easy to make and bursting with salted date and nutty goodness, there is no criteria that these don’t fit when it comes to craving a sweet snack.
For the nougat layer:
- 2/3 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup date caramel
For the date layer:
- 80g Yumello salted date peanut butter
- 235g dates (we like Medjool or Zamli)
- 2 tbsp of hot water from dates
- A pinch of sea salt
- Date syrup – can be used as an additional sweetener if desired
- 115g good quality dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Remove the pits from the dates and transfer the dates to a large bowl. Cover all of the dates with hot water and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have oat flour, blending a scant ⅔ cup of rolled oats in a blender for 45-60 seconds works just as well! They should be smooth and fluffy when they are ready to use.
- Drain any excess liquid from the dates. Add them to a food processor or high speed blender with the remaining ingredients for the date “caramel”. Blend until thick and smooth.
- Add the oat flour to the mixing bowl with ¼ cup of the date caramel from the food processor. Stir until well mixed together, creating a slightly sticky dough that will hold together.
- Firmly and evenly press the oat flour nougat into a loaf pan.
- Use a spatula to spread the remaining date caramel evenly over the nougat, then add the roasted peanuts over the caramel. Use your fingers to press the peanuts into the caramel layer, so that they stick.
- Place this in the freezer for 60-90 minutes, until firm.
- Remove from freezer and cut it into 8 bar-sized pieces or 16 small bite-size bars.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave (30 second intervals, stirring in between) or on medium heat on the stove in a glass bowl resting over a pan of boiling water. Once the chocolate has all melted, stir in the melted coconut oil and mix until completely smooth.
- Place 1 candy bar into the bowl of melted chocolate. Use two forks to “flip” the bar, until it is coated in chocolate on all sides and let any excess chocolate drip off. Then, place it onto a plate lined with parchment paper or a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining bars.
- Place the bars in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
Voila! Let us know if you give these a go... :)